What to Expect
Your first visit will typically last longer than normal treatment sessions. During this time, you will have the opportunity to speak at length about your reasons for seeking acupuncture and the benefits you would like from your treatment. Your health history will be reviewed and a physical exam will be given, including tongue and pulse examination. If you are using acupuncture to treat a specific condition or illness, please tell us in advance.
During the first visit, we will discuss with you the best course of treatment. Because of individual circumstances and health issues, it may be difficult to say exactly how many treatments you will need. In general, if you have just recently discovered a health problem, fewer treatments may be needed than for those with chronic conditions. High blood pressure, high cholesterol and persistent neck pain are examples of chronic conditions. Typically 3-5 treatments are recommended for those with chronic conditions. Many experience results within the first two treatments.
For women who are being treated for menstrual problems or infertility, allow your body to respond for three menstrual cycles. After this time, your appointments can be scheduled further apart as your condition improves.
For the best bodily response, treatments may be scheduled two to three times in the first week or two. After this, your treatments may then be scheduled once or twice a week over the next 2-3 weeks depending onyour condition and your body’s response. If you are unable to schedule appointments that frequently, Chinese herbs, supplements, dietary changes or exercise may be recommended.
Overall, acupuncture is very effective for prevention of ailments. You may wish to schedule additional appointments even after your condition has improved in order to keep the momentum going.
How to Prepare
- Eat light before your appointment. Make sure the meal is easy to digest or consider having a snack before your acupuncture session.
- Make sure to visit the restroom before your appointment.
- If possible, do not use scented fragrances or perfumes.
- Wear clothing that fits loosely and is comfortable to for relaxation.
- Bring any medical records you have even if you think they are unrelated to your condition.
- Be sure to communicate your health needs and everything regarding your condition so we have as much information as possible.
- After the session, be sure to rehydrate.